A Safe Space

18 Apr

There is a place in which I’ve spent a considerable amount of time throughout the course of my 37 years. And it is the only place I have never felt afraid.

When I was a small child it was the playroom for my sister and me. Painted bright yellow and full of toys, I spent hours in there pretending to be a doctor, a veterinarian, a mommy, a school teacher and eventually an artist.

As a teenager, when my parents converted it into their bedroom (farther away from our rooms upstairs… probably so they couldn’t hear all of the screaming) it was the place I went to beg, borrow or steal my mom’s favorite sweater, red purse or pair of heels.

As Empty-Nesters, my folks moved back upstairs while my sister and I built lives of our own… She just down the street and me on the other side of the country. Whenever I visited—heavy luggage in tow—it was a sanctuary as the “guest bedroom” and always a chance to take a deep breath and a step back from the ledge I was currently standing on during some silent but turbulent times.

At 31, after receiving a devastating blow followed by a mediocre severance package in the boardroom one day, my sanctuary 2,000 miles away suddenly became my new home. Falling from a spacious, ammenity-packed condo with mountain views to a single room overlooking our backyard, my father swiftly installed a new ceiling fan, lighting fixtures and cable connection to make me feel more at home in my humbling new digs.

Ever a victim of wanderlust and clueless to the nose dive our economy would soon experience… A voluntary but hasty adventure west and back again at 33 ushered in what would soon become a ten-month stint in what had officially become my “home” when I was homeless.

And now—whenever I want to visit from my new “home” two hours away—the room is always waiting for me. Like right now… as I type these words in front of the open window. It is quiet here. There is peace here. There is love and laughter here. There are sweet memories here. There is comfort here. And there is always… ALWAYS a good night’s sleep.

About these ads

11 Responses to “A Safe Space”

1. Fawn Stephens April 18, 2012 at 7:00 AM #

There’s no place like home. <3

2. Booksphotographsandartwork April 18, 2012 at 7:54 AM #

What a treasure you have.

• Woman In Thrisis April 29, 2012 at 11:20 AM #

Thank you Linda. I know it is precious and not to be taken for granted… ever.

3. kalisisrising April 18, 2012 at 7:50 PM #

I am so glad you have a safe space to land back in whenever it is needed – that is truly a gift, indeed.

4. JT April 19, 2012 at 8:28 AM #

I am always comforted when I am at my Mom’s house, although I can’t say it with the same sense of Home as you since I have moved about 37 times over the years. Nevertheless when I go to Mom’s I know that I am always welcomed with open arms.

5. deb shields April 19, 2012 at 1:45 PM #

So who says you can never go home again????? Joanna, this one made me cry…love you. You will always and forever be welcome here.

6. Tiffany (lifewithblondie) April 19, 2012 at 4:14 PM #

I like laying in my dad’s hammock on his back porch over looking the lake… complete peace!

• Woman In Thrisis April 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM #

Hmmmm… that sounds like a great place to be! I could go there right now!

7. Donald Miller April 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM #

Lovely article. Everyone should have memories like that. I’m happy that you have them, and that you share them on this weblog.