Every Wednesday I post a status update on Facebook as I gear up to indulge in my favorite guilty pleasure — watching Revenge on ABC. I am absolutely addicted to that show. I don’t know if it’s the scenic Hamptons, the high-flying, preciously-charmed, jewel-adorned lives the characters lead, the clothes, the plotting, the scheming, the backstabbing or simply watching skinny, beautiful, evil people inhabiting a place so foreign to an Ohio gal like me. Nonetheless, I was hooked on the show after watching the first 20 minutes of it when it premiered last fall.
There is a small group of Facebook friends (maybe 8 to 10) who also admit to loving the show and each Wednesday we gather together in cyberspace and enjoy a little pre and post-Revenge dish session.
This week I mentioned to a friend (while dishing) that the show was my “guilty pleasure”— singular—indicating that I had only one. However, upon further review I must come clean and admit to myself and (just for fun) everyone reading this that I DO have other guilty pleasures. Many, many guilty pleasures in fact.
For instance… JUST TO NAME A FEW…
- Sleep. I can knock out 12 hours of sleep like nobody’s business. If allowed I would probably give the cat a run for his money.
- An Over-Indulgence in Paper Products. I go through napkins, paper towels, tissues and toilet paper like they’re going out of style. And now that I’m not working and home much of the time… I have become acutely more aware of just how much I use. Just ask Lee. He has begun clipping coupons for all things paper since I moved in.
- Pizza. I could eat it seven days a week if possible. In fact, ever since I was little and Friday night was pizza night at our house (no exceptions because it was my mother’s one day off from cooking) I EXPECT to eat it at least once a week. And if I don’t get it… I feel deprived. I know it’s probably “wrong” to have such a thing as PES or more formally known as “Pizza Entitlement Syndrome” what with whole nations of people starving and all… but I can’t help it. I am obviously hardwired by now.
- Pillows. I can’t get enough of them. Big, fat, fluffy, goose-down pillows for sleeping, pillows for throwing and propping and accenting. When I am out shopping I will ALWAYS cruise the pillow aisle and I can justify the purchase of a new pillow like it’s my job. But I don’t have ANYTHING with this shade or this shape or this pattern or this softness… anywhere in the house! Therefore, I MUST purchase this pillow. It would be a crime NOT to.
- Decorative Candles That I Will Never Burn. I know that I’ve addressed this in a previous post so I will not say much more on the matter other than to say that along with the PES, I should probably see someone about it. It’s becoming a real problem. At some point we are going to run out of shelf/table/counter/closet space and become overrun with decorative candles and I will wind up on an episode of Hoarders or some other abnormal-psychologically-voyeuristic cable show.
So… dear readers, please share with me (because I’d really like to know) what are some of YOUR favorite guilty pleasures? The sky is the limit and I promise that your secret will be safe with me. Well, me and anyone else who happens to click on this link today.
9 thoughts on “Guilty Pleasures”
Humorous tin signs. It started in my dining room, migrated to the kitchen and is threatening to take over my bathroom.
Chairs and throw rugs. Starbucks green tea frappacinos, tim hortons iced cap. And of course, shoes
Good books under the covers, electric mattress covers, a greasy hamburger at a chain restaurant (don’t tell anyone!).
Thanks guys! I love it! I am looking for variety here and so far we’ve achieved it! Keep ’em coming! 😀
I love your fascination with decorative candles that you will never burn – love it! My other half was amazed in living with a girl how much paper products go out of style; however, he can do justice to a half a paper towel roll in just cleaning the bathroom. Here’s mine I have not 1 but 3 closets of clothes and shoes – one closet is just jackets, sweaters and dresses. I think the closet space has shrunk; my other half thinks I am a clothes horse – ha! Thanks for sharing & Have a Great Day:)
Sweet stuff…anything with sugar is fair game. Sweet candy (is there any other kind?), sweet breads, ICING (all by itself), marshmellows IN the hot chocolate more so than alone, ICE CREAM, TOPPINGS on the ice cream, and of course, whipped cream on things and in things like cream filled donuts. I think I need to visit the kitchen right now.
My husband said to me the other day, “there has to be something wrong, you sleep twelve hours a day and still aren’t rested”. It’s only been twenty years, how observant.
Paper products, oh yes.
Books and magazines!!!!!
Crafting things, it’s ridiculus. My crafting buddy is moving, it’s a good thing. A very good thing.
Chocolate. I was actually going to put a photo on my blog from where I gave my grandson raw cabbage leaves with dipping chocolate. He thought it was great. Me too.
Oh and I started watching The Office and I love it. I used to hate it. And King of the Hill. I really can’t believe I watch that. It makes me laugh out loud.
Thanks guys 🙂 I probably have to echo ALL of your “guilty pleasures” and then some! There just wasn’t room to add them so I’m glad you all did!